In the late 80's and early 90's, the Neo-Geo arcade/home console was easily the most expensive console ever made. The reason being that the games that were available for the home console were the identical games that one found at the arcade. While $500+ games were definitely not affordable for the average family, SNK did have its market and the Neo-Geo outlived many other consoles.
During its run, many classic fighting and shoot-em-up series were introduced. Many have been ported to the current consoles in collections but the great thing is that now these games are available on the go and are far more affordable than they ever were in the past.
The Google play store and The iTunes Store are currently discounting a great selection of SNK Playmore games as listed below.
- The King of Fighters-i for iOS for 99 cents
- Blazing Star for iOS or Android for 99 cents
- The King of Fighters '97 for iOS or Android for $1.99
- Samurai Showdown II for iOS or Android for $1.99
- Metal Slug for iOS or Android for $1.99
- Metal Slug 2 for iOS or Android for $1.99
- Metal Slug 3 for iOS or Android for $1.99
- Metal Slug X for iOS or Android for $1.99
- The King of Fighters-i 2012 for iOS or Android for $3.99
Most of these games are ports of the original arcade games with some touchscreen enhancements coded in for good measure. Some also have physical joystick support either through bluetooth or by plugging in the appropriate adapter into your device. All of these games are awesome classics and the prices are right.
As a teenager, I dreamed of having arcade perfect ports of King of Fighters at home or on the go, and now the opportunity is here. Get these before the sale is over!